A three week family trip around South America really made me realize that I love empanadas too much. I really couldn’t wait to get back to Buenos Aires just to have some again. I ate them for three days straight when I got home, and now, I am sick of them.
But I came up with a good new recipe. Introducing:
Ricotta Veg Empanadas
- Puff pastry, cut in 4inch circles
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced about 1/4inch thick
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4inch thick
- 1 bunch of raw leafy spinach
- 12oz package of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- oregano, salt, pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the onion, garlic and spices.
Place a puff pastry circle on a floured surface. In the center, alternate slices of veg with smears of ricotta, until you have a small stack like so.
Then fold up the edges of your pastry and pinch on all four corners.
Bake in the over at 350 for 15min or until the pastry is golden brown.
Recipe makes 20 empanadas.