I wanted to try Smitten Kitchen’s recipe for Cauliflower and Caramelized Onion Tart because it looked different than anything I’d cooked before, but after reading the ingredients, I just couldn’t justify it. The recipe called for a cup of cream, a cup of mascarpone, a cup of shredded cheese and then even more cheese. I’m sorry but that is just ridiculous!!! I had to find a way to make this recipe reasonable. I replaced the cream with milk, the mascarpone with ricotta and used less cheese. I made a crust out of polenta, which has a great crunchy texture compliment to the creamy cauliflower. The tart was a hit – my roommates gave this recipe full endorsement. Here is my much more calorically reasonable, and still delicious recipe:
- 1 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup of Polenta or Corn Meal
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 2 Eggs
- Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes to Taste
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 1 Medium Sized Cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 Cup of Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Shredded Cheese. I used Swiss because it is the best.
- Slice the onions and saute in oil (I used coconut oil) for at least half an hour on a low temperature until they become brown and caramelized.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and arrange on a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake at 350ºF for about 30 minutes. When the cauliflower has become aromatic, slightly toasted and translucent, remove from the oven and let cool. Then chop finely.
- Mix the flour, polenta mix and spices thoroughly and add the butter, mixing thoroughly. Mix in eggs one at a time. Add a few tablespoons of water if necessary. Press the polenta mixture into a glass pie dish.
- Spread two tablespoons of mustard evenly on the bottom of the pie crust and then layer the caramelized onions on top.
- In a bowl, mix the cauliflower, milk, ricotta, eggs and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper and then pour over the caramelized onions.
- Bake the tart at 350° for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Enjoy!